Helping a Friend

Concerned About a Friend

Are you worried something might be wrong with a friend? Do you think your friend’s alcohol or drug use is becoming an issue? Are they loosing focus on academics, behaving erratically, or becoming withdrawn? As a friend you have the power to help. You can be a supportive resource for them rather than ignore a potential problem or not voicing your concern. Staff in the Office of the Dean of Students are here to help you and provide options to support a friend.

If this is an emergency call the UO Police Department at 9-1-1.

If this is a mental health concern, please contact 541-346-3227 to speak to a therapist.

If you are unsure who to call, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216

Questions to Consider

What are some questions to consider when deciding to get my friend help?

  1. Have I tried to talk to my friend and tell them I’m concerned about them?
  2. Is my friend seeking or receiving support from other resources on or off campus already?
  3. What are other resources where I can direct them?

Aren’t sure how to have this conversation? Call us at 541-346-3216 to connect with an advocate and talk about your concerns and how you might refer a friend.

Be a real friend. You might even save a life. Share your concerns with a friend and help connect them with professional resources so that everyone may stay safe.