At some point during your time at the University of Oregon, you may find yourself caring for a friend who has had too much to drink. It is important for you to recognize the symptoms of alcohol poisoning so that you get your friend medical attention immediately.
If you see someone exhibiting any of the following symptoms, call 9-1-1 off campus or 541-346-2919 on campus.
- Person is unconscious, cannot be woken up, or can only be awakened for a short time
- Difficulty standing or walking
- Person is poorly aware of surroundings
- Exhibits respiratory difficulties (slow, labored breathing—below 10 breaths a minute)
- Fever or chill
- Fingernail beds or gums are blue
- Extremities are cold, blue, or clammy
- Vomiting while semi-conscious or unconscious
- Increased, decreased, or irregular pulse—above 100 or below 60 beats per minute
- Mixed alcohol with prescription, over-the-counter or illicit drugs