Frequently Asked Questions

The Office of the Dean of Students provides support in person and remotely. Please refer to the frequently asked questions below, or call us at 541-346-3216 for the most up-to-date process and to seek assistance.

I need help. Where do I start?

  • For emergencies, call 911.  
  • For non-emergency questions, call the UOPD non-emergency number at 541-346-2919. The Office of the Dean of Students is also here to assist you at 541-346-3216 or 
  • For questions about sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment, call our 24-hour SAFE hotline 541-346-SAFE or visit
  • For a list of UO campus resources, visit the One Stop student resources website.
  • For helpful forms from Office of the Dean of Students, as well as some other most requested forms, visit our Forms page.

What do I do if I’m concerned about another student?

There are many people and departments who serve as resources to students at the University of Oregon. If you consider the situation to be an emergency, call 9-1-1. If you are concerned about a student and this is a non-emergency, we encourage you to complete a report or call the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216. We also recommend contacting a faculty or staff member you trust to figure out the best way to support your peer. 

What if I need to miss class?

You should review the course syllabus for each of your classes to understand both the attendance policy and tardiness policy, as those policies can vary greatly with each professor and department. You should then reach out directly to your professor to inform them that you will be missing class. 

Does the Office of the Dean of Students excuse absences?

No, the Office of the Dean of Students does NOT excuse absences. Students should review their course syllabus to obtain a clear understanding of the attendance and tardiness policies for each course, as those policies may vary from professor to professor. Students should be sure to follow whatever guidelines are provided in the course syllabus for notifications of absence, as each professor may prefer a different way of communicating. Students are encouraged to reach out to their professors or instructors directly about missing class, any missed assignments, and to develop a plan for making up those missed assignments if permitted. It is up to each professor as to how they provide flexibility to students. 

I need help determining if a withdrawal from classes is right for me.

We recommend that before deciding to withdraw from a class or the term at the University of Oregon, you should contact your academic advisor to discuss implications of the withdrawal. Important considerations are insurance coverage, incurred tuition and fees, access to university housing, and change in academic standing. If you need additional help, please contact academic advising at 541-346-3211 or visit their website for guidance and to connect with an advisor.

What if I am the victim of an act of bias?

The University of Oregon takes responding to acts of bias seriously and wants to ensure you have the resources available to you. If you believe you’ve been a victim of an act of bias, please submit a report to the Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance. Students seeking additional support can contact the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Multicultural and Identity-Based Support Services at 541-346-3216 or

Can I speak to a confidential UO employee if I have experienced sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment?

Yes, there are several campus locations that offer confidential support and resources. You can contact the campus resource that you believe is the best fit for you:

I have been accused of bias and/or harassment. What resources are available for me?

Students accused of sexual misconduct subject to the Student Conduct standard operating procedures can contact the respondent support services coordinator for assistance or to learn about other available resources. 

Are there resources for financial hardship caused by an emergency, circumstances beyond my control, or other resources-based needs that threaten my ability to remain enrolled and complete my degree?

Many students are dealing with serious financial disruptions, some of which are related to the national response to COVID-19. If you are one of those students, please complete the application process for the Federal Emergency CARES Act Grant through the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

If you are still experiencing a financial crisis after completing the application process or if you are ineligible for the CARES Act Grant, please fill out our online intake form, as you may be eligible to receive financial support from the Students in Crisis Fund. Once you complete our intake form, a Dean of Students staff member will follow up with you within a few days to discuss your situation.

Does the UO offer resources to address food insecurity in the lives of students? 

Partnerships to assist with proper nutrition and having enough food can be found on our food security webpage. If you are in immediate need, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216 (remote services available).

What steps do I take if I am unable to attend classes for an extended time due to a crisis, serious illness or injury, or hospitalization?

When students are unexpectedly absent and incapacitated due to a crisis, serious illness, or injury, and unable to contact their individual instructors directly, the Dean of Students Office can send out an emergency academic notification on their behalf. 

How to initiate an emergency academic notification:

To initiate emergency academic notification, students can contact the Office of Dean of Students by phone at 541-346-3216 or by email at Parents, guardians, and significant others can request emergency notification on behalf of students. Be prepared to provide a description of the emergency circumstances, as well as a reasonable explanation as to why the student is unable to contact their instructors directly. 

What is an emergency academic notification?

  • An email notification from the Office of the Dean of Students to a student’s faculty members. A copy of this message is sent to the student, as well.
  • An announcement that an emergency situation (their own hospitalization, accident, death in the family, etc.) prevents students from contacting instructors directly and may also prevent them from fulfilling their academic responsibilities.
  • A source of information so faculty can anticipate the absence and, sometimes, can know when to expect the student to return to class.
  • A written reminder that students should work directly with instructors to determine how to complete any missed course work during the absence.

Each instructor has the authority to make decisions about students’ absences and how the absence will affect students’ grades. Dean of Students staff encourage faculty to keep in mind that students who utilize the emergency academic notification are typically recovering from a crisis and would benefit from appropriate consideration.

I’m dealing with a crisis and I don’t want to use the university resources. 

We understand that students have a choice in whether they choose to share their experiences with us. We strongly suggest contacting a university resource or office. University officials will be able to help you find support and connect you to on- and off-campus resources.

Following are local and national agencies that can help you: 

Who can assist me with a mental health concern?

There are several offices who can assist students with mental health concerns. The first is Counseling Services. You can consult with them by calling 541-346-3227, 24/7. 

The second office that may be able to assist you is the Accessible Education Center. They can be reached at 541-346-1155 or 

Finally, you can also contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216, or report a concern.  

Who do I contact regarding academic accommodations related to a disability or long-term health impact?

For assistance with access or disability related questions or concerns, contact the Accessible Education Center at 541-346-1155 or

Who do I contact if I need academic support for a short-term health issue?

Students are encouraged to reach out to their professors or instructors directly to request supportive measures or modifications for each class. 

What resources and support do you offer for students who are parents or might be pregnant?

Student parents can connect with someone from the Nontraditional Student Program at or 541-346-1948. Consistent with Title IX, the university provides pregnant and parenting students with accommodations related to pregnancy (including false pregnancy and loss of pregnancy), childbirth, and lactation. Additional information about other types of support can be found on the Pregnancy and Parenting-Related Resources website

What is the process to take a leave of absence?

If you are dealing with personal or health-related concerns that require you to take a break from classes, please complete the Leave of Absence Request Form. If you have questions you can contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216. The Office of the Dean of Students staff will provide you with information about the student leave process.

Graduate students, law students, and international students should check with their advisors prior to submitting a request for a leave of absence. If you decide to pursue a leave of absence, you will need to schedule a time to meet with the assistant dean of students to discuss your request. You may be asked to present a recommendation to that effect from a physician or another medical provider. If your leave of absence is granted, you will receive documentation of the leave, and be asked to withdraw on your own through DuckWeb. The Dean of Students staff will work with you on a plan for return, and a plan for success upon such return.

What can I do if I have a roommate or housing issue?

If you live on campus, the best place to find support for your concern is to contact your resident assistant or community director in your area. If you reside off campus, contact ASUO Student Legal Services at 541-346-4273 or the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216; both offices may be able to help you navigate this concern.

How do I protect my university records from parents, relatives, friends, other students, or prospective employers who may wish to contact or verify my status at the university, without a written release?

The University of Oregon is committed to the privacy and security of our students. The University of Oregon Student Records Policy complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), which establishes students’ rights and institutions’ responsibilities regarding the privacy of education records. It provides guidelines for maintaining the confidentiality of education records and monitoring the release of information from those records. 

For details about FERPA, a list of consent to release records forms, or information about limiting your FERPA directory information please visit the Office of the Registrar website.

I am a survivor of dating violence or sexual assault. What are my campus resources? 

There are many UO and community resources available to support you. A good resource to start with is The UO has a 24-hour hotline at 541-346-SAFE, for information and support. Call anytime to speak with a counselor who can also connect you with other confidential resources. You may also reach the Care and Advocacy Program by calling 541-346-3216 during business hours.