Ducks look out for each other. While parties can be a fun way to socialize and relieve some stress, there are a few dangers associated with them. Know the facts and party safe.
Tips to the host
- Appoint sober monitors and designated drivers.
- If you choose to serve alcohol, ensure you are only serving to individuals that are 21 or older.
- Serve water and food to balance alcoholic drinks.
- Give your neighbors advanced warning. If they know they can come to you if the party gets too rowdy, they are less likely to call the police.
- If your party gets out of control, call the non-emergency police at 541-682-5111.
- Cooperate with law enforcement and avoid a citation for an Unruly Gathering (fine up to $1000).
- Fraternity and Sorority Life students need to register all social events.
Watch out for yourself
- Eat before you start drinking.
- Alternate your drinks. Drinking water between alcoholic drinks will keep you hydrated and reduce the effects of your hangover.
- Avoid drinks with unknown contents and never leave your drink unattended.
- Don’t mix alcohol and drugs.
- Pace yourself: Consume no more than one drink per hour. One standard drink is 12oz of beer, 4oz of wine, or 1oz of liquor. Important Tip: The lines on solo cups show roughly how much one drink is. The line closest to the bottom of the cup is for liquor, the middle line for wine and the top line for beer.
If someone drinks too much
- Don’t leave them alone. Turn them onto their side to prevent choking if they vomit.
- Don’t let them sleep it off. Blood alcohol content can continue rising even when someone is asleep. “Sleeping it off” has led to alcohol-related deaths of college students across the U.S.
- Don’t give the person food or beverages; they could choke.
- If the person is unconscious and cannot be awakened, call 9-1-1 immediately. The Oregon Medical Amnesty law prevents underage drinkers from receiving a Minor in Possession (MIP) when aiding someone with alcohol poisoning or seeking aid for themselves.
Don’t drive drunk! The Designated Driver Shuttle (DDS) will pick you up from a party and take you home, no questions asked. DDS runs from 10:00 p.m.–2:30 a.m. Call 541-346-RIDE.